**Updated July 17, 2019 to include current data
Analies Dyjak, M.A. | Hydroviv Research Analyst
Hydroviv's Water Nerds have updated our assessment of Las Vegas drinking water to include data from the 2019 Consumer Confidence Report. We looked at data from the Las Vegas Valley Water District, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), as well as from samples that we collect and analyze. Our Water Nerds then cross reference these data with toxicity studies in the scientific and medical literature, and look at upcoming regulatory changes. The custom water filters that we build for our customers in Las Vegas are optimized with this research in mind.
Source Of Las Vegas's Drinking Water
90% of Las Vegas drinking water comes from Lake Mead. Lake Mead is supplied by snow melt from the Rocky Mountains, which flows into the Colorado River. The remaining 10% comes from a groundwater aquifer under the Las Vegas Valley. This aquifer is naturally replenished by precipitation in the Spring Mountains and the Sheep Range.
Lead In Las Vegas Drinking Water
Lead enters tap water through older lead service pipes and lead-containing plumbing. When corrosion control measures put in place by the municipality fail (like what recently happened in Flint, Michigan), lead leaches into the drinking water, and can reach dangerous levels. According to the 2019 report, 10% of drinking water samples analyzed for lead in Las Vegas are over 7.5 parts per billion. Though Las Vegas water quality is currently in compliance with federal regulations, EPA and CDC both acknowledge that there is no safe level of lead, and federal regulations do not take into account levels measured at an individual tap. Homes built before 1986 are most susceptible to lead contamination. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that any taps used to serve children have lead levels no higher than 1 part per billion.
High Chromium 6 Levels In Las Vegas Drinking Water
Chromium 6 is a toxic metal that is not regulated by the EPA. Las Vegas’s tap water recently averaged 200 parts per trillion for chromium 6. These levels are nearly 10 times higher than the concentration determined to have a negligible impact on cancer risk.
Disinfection Byproducts (DBPs) In Las Vegas Drinking Water
DBPs are a category of emerging contaminants that form when chlorine-based disinfectants react with naturally-occurring organic matter. Although these chemicals are not currently regulated very well, the EPA has admitted that they are associated with an increased risk of bladder cancer, as well as kidney, liver, and central nervous system problems.
Still Have Questions About Las Vegas Drinking Water?
Per and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances (PFAS) are a category of unregulated contaminants that have been associated with various negative health effects, including cancer. Major cities, such as Las Vegas, are not required to test for, monitor, or even remove PFAS from drinking water.
Hydroviv is a water filtration company that uses water quality data to optimize water filters for each customer's water. The contaminants that we list above are what we consider to be major “points of emphasis” that we use to build water filters that are built specifically for Las Vegas' water, but all of our our filters provide broad protection against a wide range of contaminants (including lead).
If you’re interested in learning more about water filters that have been optimized for Las Vegas tap water, or just have questions about water quality in general, feel free to visit www.hydroviv.com, reach out by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or through our live chat. We also frequently post water-related news on Twitter or Facebook. We pride ourselves in being a reputable source of information on water quality, and your questions will be answered by scientists, not salespeople (we don't have any salespeople).
Hydroviv NSF Certification
Please Share This Las Vegas Drinking Water Quality Article On Social Media With Anyone You Think Would Benefit From The Information!
Recommended Articles For You:
How Do I Remove Chromium 6 Contamination From My Drinking Water?
Disinfection Byproducts In Your Drinking Water